American Sign Language
Top 10 Reasons Why YOU Should Take American Sign Language
- Application– Are you interested in child development? As a career or in your own family? ASL gives children language, a way to communicate before they can express themselves verbally.
- Cognitive benefits– ASL uses a different part of your brain and increases synaptic connections. Bi-modal bi-lingual competencies (google it!) enriches and enhances cognitive processes, higher abstract and creative thinking and MORE! This is your brain on ASL…
- Cultural awareness– There is a fascinating Deaf culture! The general public is unaware of the richness of Deaf culture and history. Promote cross cultural understanding in YOUR community!
- Diversity– TEN percent of Americans are Deaf and Hard of hearing- with your ASL skills, you can communicate with those 28+ million people.
- FUN–Sign with mouth full, teach your friends ASL- tell secrets in public, communicate underwater and through windows!
- Human connection– The 4th most non-English used language in the United States! Join the Deaf education revolution that connects two groups of people.
- Improves (all) communication and listening skills– ASL is the 4th most studied modern/foreign language at colleges and universities in the U.S. according the Modern Language Association-it’s easily the fastest growing language offered at colleges nationwide. ASL improves receptive abilities visually, and incorporates kinesthetic expressive language skills.
- It’s Poetic– ASL is a beautiful visually creative language…See the results of one CSU’s student’s project! http://www.collegian.com/2014/11/csu-student-offers-musical-experience-for-deaf-community/102563/
- Language acquisition– By exposing your child to sign language as an infant, the National Institute of Health states that by age 8 your child will display up to 12 IQ points higher than non-learners of sign!
- Marketability– Conversational in ASL-excellent skill to mention on your resume!